Yes, you can bake a cake in a toaster oven. You can bake anything in your toaster oven that you can bake in a regular oven. However, you will have to be a bit careful while baking your cake in a restricted space like a toaster oven due to the following reasons:
- You must make sure that the height of your cake is not close to the coils.
- You will also need to turn your cake at least once as there are going to be hot spots since the front of the toaster oven will not be as hot as the back.
- It is always suggested to bake smaller cakes in toaster ovens. Size will not be an issue.
Another Downside of Baking in Toaster Ovens is Time
- A toaster oven might take a bit longer to bake your cake.
Step to Baking a Cake in Your Toaster Oven
**Toaster Ovens vary in size and power. Not all directions are one size fits all.
Getting the Right Temperature for Baking (How to Find Toaster Oven Hot Spots)
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Allow it to preheat for around ten minutes.
- Now put an oven thermometer in the rack and wait for five minutes to recuperate from the lost heat.
- This is the real temperature.
- Fill the pan of your oven with oatmeal or breadcrumbs and spread a thin layer. Keep the pan in the toaster oven and then observe.
- With significant hot spots, it can brown some areas more quickly. You’ll need to be aware of those hot spots when you start baking and cooking in the toaster oven.
Note: You can adjust thermostat and temperature depending on the requirement.
Does Size Matter?
Yes, size matters. As mentioned earlier, you can easily bake small cakes in your toaster oven but you’ll have to select a pan that can easily fit into the oven.
If you have a modern toaster oven, it can fit a 9-inch pan. For the smaller ones, an 8-inch pan will be an ideal option. You can also buy a scaled-down pan which comes in 8-by-10-inch size which will fit any toaster oven with a few exceptions.
Once you have your pan, you can compare it with your recipe to ensure a proper fit. For example, if recipes demand much space, then it might not fit the size of your oven. Therefore, it is important to choose a recipe that you can conveniently bake in your toaster oven.
You should always try to make a thin layer not more than 1 inches in size. You can bake three layers to prepare a big cake if required.
How to Prepare the Cake for a Toaster Oven
- You will have to preheat your toaster oven once again to 350 Fahrenheit for at least ten minutes.
- Grease the pan or line it with parchment and fill it 2/3 with batter.
- Place the pan into the oven and close the door as soon as possible to avert heat loss.
Pro Tip: Get a sheet of aluminum foil and fold it to fit the length of your oven. Spray non-stick cooking sprays one side of this foil. When your cake is fully set, you can open your oven and then cover the cake with the foil. You can rotate your cake 180 degrees to prevent uneven baking. Use a cake-tester to know it is fully prepared or not.